An Introduction to Bungay High School and Transition to Bungay High School
Transition from Primary school to Secondary school is a big change and involves making a huge decision about your child’s future. Here at Bungay High School we have an extensive Transition programme to ensure the whole process is as smooth as possible. A range of different activities are put in place to ensure pupils feel familiar with their new school before they begin in Year 7. Details of our Transition programme are detailed below, however if you would like any further information or a tour of the school please do contact us by;
Email: email@example.com or
Call: 01986 892140
Experiences in Year 5 and 6
- Timetabled visits from Bungay High School English, Maths and Science teachers (known as our Transition Co-ordinators) to primary schools in the pyramid on a regular basis throughout years 5 and 6. They work with the class teacher to deliver lessons on a variety of subjects which this year have included poetry, functional maths tasks, problem solving, experiments relating to the circulatory system, using fruit as batteries, building electrical circuits etc.
- 9 November 2017- ‘Battle of the Books’ event held in the Library at Bungay High School and run by the English Department and our Librarian. Each primary school will be given 5 books to read in advance. The students then come to the High School where they work with students from the other primary schools to put together a presentation of their chosen book. They will keep their books to add to their school library.
- 26 June 2018 – Annual science competition with the final held at the High School. Each year a different science experiment is chosen (rotating between physics, chemistry and biology on an annual basis). Equipment is delivered to each participating school in advance. On the 28 June year 5 & 6 students will attend the High School for the final, which has been judged in the past by a professional from the STEM community. (STEM -Science, Technology Engineering and Maths Learning)
- 7 December, 22 March and 26 June – Termly Gifted and Talented Maths sessions held at the High School to enable small groups of more able students to work together.
In Year 6
- 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 29 September 2017 – Tea and Tours for Year 6 students and their parents from 9.15. Find out what it is like to study at Bungay High, see the school in action. A chance to meet the Headteacher, Mr Goduti, and some of our Heads of House, teaching staff and students. Visitors will be able to drop into lessons to appreciate the learning that is taking place. Please contact the school to book a visit.
- Mon 25 September – Open Evening for parents and students to tour the school and meet and talk to departmental staff and older students, from 6.00 pm – 8.30 pm.
- Welcome letter for successful applicants in March.
- October - July – BHS Learning Support Department visits to Primary Schools to meet students.
- 24 May – Individual invitations to meet the Headteacher and Senior Team for a ‘getting to know you’ evening.
- May - July – Extra visits to Bungay High School arranged for some students, if necessary, to help with the transition to High School.
- 12 June – New Intake/Transition Evening for parents and students to get information about final arrangements for a successful start in September and another opportunity to view the school.
- 3 July – Transition Day 1; students find out which House they are in, experience lessons and have the opportunity to explore Bungay High School.
- 17 July 2018 – Transition Day 2, taking the form of a model school day. Students meet their Head of House and Form Tutor, they experience an assembly followed by tutor time and meet the rest of their tutor group and also have some lessons. They are encouraged to be as independent as possible.
- July – SEN Transition Day; an opportunity for some students to spend the day with our SEN Department
- July:- Bungay High School Teachers, together with Year 7 students, visit Primary Schools for ‘last minute’ questions about September.
- July - August – Receive Bus Passes.
- September 2018 – First day of term – Year 7 only.