An Introduction to Bungay High School and Transition to Bungay High School
In Year 5 and 6
- Timetabled visits from Bungay High School English, Maths and Science teachers to primary schools in the pyramid on a regular basis throughout years 5 and 6. They work with the class teacher to deliver lessons on a variety of subjects which this year have included poetry, functional maths tasks, problem solving, experiments relating to the circulatory system, using fruit as batteries, building electrical circuits etc.
- November ‘Battle of the Books’ event held in the Library at Bungay High School. Each primary school is given 5 books to read in advance. When the students come to the High School they will work with students from the other schools to put together a presentation of their chosen book. They will keep their books to add to their school library.
- March Annual science competition with the final held at the High School (held in the Spring Term). Each year a different science experiment is chosen (rotating between physics, chemistry and biology on an annual basis). Next year it will be a Physics experiment.
- December, March and June -Termly Gifted and Talented Maths sessions held at the High School to enable small groups of more able students to work together.
- Inter school sports activities held at both at Primary Schools and also at the High School.
In Year 5
- June - Curriculum Day in June for Year 5 students – The theme is ‘Treasure’ with lessons delivered in History, Geography, Religious Studies and Languages.
- June – Year 5 maths morning for all students in June. The aim is for students to meet students from other schools and work together with our Year 8 students on a series of mathematical tasks that they have designed.
In Year 6
- Sept – Tea and Tours for Year 6 students and their parents from 9.30. Find out what it is like to study at Bungay High, meet our teaching staff and see how students learn to learn in the Bungay High School style.
- September: – Open evening for parents and students to tour the school and meet and talk to departmental staff and older students.
- Welcome letter for successful applicants in March outlining dates for transition events
- March – July:- BHS Learning Support Department visits to Primary Schools by to meet students
- May:- Individual invitations to meet the Headteacher and Senior Team for a ‘getting to know you’ evening
- May – July: – Extra visits to Bungay High School arranged for some students, if necessary, to help with the transition to High School.
- June: – Open evening for parents and students to get information about final arrangements for a successful start in September and another opportunity to view the school.
- July: -Transition Day taking the form of a model school day. Students meet their Head of House and Form Tutor, they experience an assembly followed by a tutor time and meet the rest of their tutor group and the also have some lessons. They are encouraged to be as independent as possible.
- July:- Bungay High School Teachers, together with Year 7 and Year 10 students, visit Primary Schools in for ‘last minute’ questions about September
- July/August:- Receive Bus Passes
- September 2016:- First day of term – Year 7 only.
“The transition days were awesome! We had some great tasters of the lessons and a lot of fun too.”